Our son-in-law’s grandmother is celebrating her 100th birthday this year. What a great milestone! When we found this out, we told our daughter that we would make a special effort to attend the party they are planning. And, of course, a very special card is required. She lives in an assisted living home, so I wanted something that she could display but not take up too much room or be easily knocked to the floor. Karen Burniston Designs to the rescue! What could be more perfect than a basket of flowers that never wilts.
I was so excited when I saw the Woven Basket Pop-Up die that I knew it would be perfect for what I am planning. Add the Happy Birthday die, the Flowers & Bee dies and the Numbers dies, all also from Karen Burniston Designs, and I had the perfect basics for the perfect card. Plus this gave me the chance to use up a lot of scraps that I had in my stash.
I started by making the basket. I was going to do a double wide one, but again I wanted to keep it to a size that could be displayed and not take up too much room. I used a woodgrain cardstock that I found at a local craft store for the base and then used Doodlebug Petite Prints in aqua dots for the weaving pieces. Bazzill Bling green cardstock scraps made the perfect grass. I cut four of the grass, cutting the tabs off 2 of them for against the front and back, so I had four lines of grass. I used a scrap of cardstock the color of rope to make the handles. Make sure you watch Karen’s videos for the assembly of the basket, as well as the double wide basket. They are very helpful. I usually watch them once when they come out and then watch again to refresh it in my mind when I am ready to do my project. I must say that Karen does an excellent job on her assembly videos. Here is what my basket looked like when done.
Next comes all the flowers and accents for the basket………..
First I made nine of the larger flowers in the die set. The largest part of the flowers was cut from My Favorite Things Party Patterns paper in the multi colored dots. I shaped them using a ball stylus and a foam pad from the McGill Flower Shaping set. The second floral layers were cut from pink, purple and blue scraps of Bazzill cardstock. They were also shaped with the ball stylus. I cut the center dots from a scrap of yellow Bazzill cardstock and made a depression in the center so they would fit inside the shaped flowers. Using liquid glue I assembled the flowers together. Later on I use a Spectrum Noir Glitter Pen to add some shine to the centers. Next came the tiny flowers that I cut out of Bazzill Bling white cardstock. I shaped them a bit and used Nuvo gold glitter drops for centers. I cut the Happy Birthday out of Bazzill Bling white cardstock and out of dark aqua cardstock and layered them slightly off for the shadowed look. I added an iridescent jewel to the dot over the “i” later.
Using the same Bazzill Bling green cardstock I cut out several “folded” stems and several single stems. Again, make sure to check out Karen’s video on this. The “folded” stems are attached at the top so that you can put the bottom of the stems on either side of the grass to make them stronger. I also cut a Bee from the Flowers & Bee die set from yellow cardstock and used a Copic black marker to make the stripes on the bee. I cut 2 of them to put back to back so it was the same from both sides. Lastly, using some red scraps of paper, I cut the 100 twice, reversing the number 1 so that I could also put them back to back. Here are all the “pieces parts” on my desk ready for assembly.
I started by attaching the “folded” stems, three to each of the middle 2 grass strips. I found it easier to glue together the top parts so that I could control them better. Just make sure to leave the stems not glued until ready to attach to the basket. I then took 3 of the single stems and, following Karen’s instructions, I attached them together overlapping a dot on each one. I attached that group of 3 to the back grass strip, and 3 others to the front strip. I trimmed a few sprigs from the front ones and added them between the back ones to fill in the spaces. I let all that dry well before attempting the rest.
After everything was dry, I attached the 100 to the stems, back and front, on the 3rd grass strip. I then attached the large flowers and then the small ones to fill in, and finally the bee. I attached the Happy Birthday to the front of the basket to finish it off. I also cut out a panel out of white cardstock and edged it with a green Copic marker. This was attached to the back to write a wish and sign our names. I also covered the red numbers with Spectrum Noir glitter pen. And finally………..
Oh……..and did I mention……..This wonderful baskets fold up to fit in an envelope for a 5″x7″ card! It would take some extra postage, but imagine their eyes when the recipient opens the envelope and takes out a wonderful pop-up 3D basket of flowers! SURPRISE!!!!
This would also be a wonderful card for Mother’s Day. I hope you enjoyed my flower basket. Be sure to check out my other posts, and also the wonderful products that I used. Leave me a message to let me know what you thought. And make sure to sign up to follow my blog.
Have a wonderful day!