Adapting A Die For A New Design!

Wow!  I can’t believe it’s been over a year since I convinced my daughter to help me start my blog.  I know I haven’t done as many posts as I had hoped thanks to health issues, but hopefully 2018 will be better for me and I can really get going on it.  In the meantime I hope you enjoy my newest discovery on how to adapt a die set for a whole new look!

In an earlier post my daughter showed all of you some of the designs that I have made for her and her hubby.  This year she decided to throw me a curve ball and tell me what she would like to see.  She wanted to have cards featuring T-Rex on each that when put together would look like they were interacting, such as hugging.  I said something like “HUH???” but told her I would see what I could do to engineer something.  I spent a couple of months scratching my head and wondering how I could make this come to life for her.  In the mean time I had placed an order for some of the new Karen Burniston dies from KB Riley LLC.  When they arrived I discovered I had my answer in the Katherine Label Pop-Up Die set!

First, I always make their cards with matching fronts.  Below you will see that I first layered on aqua Bazzill cardstock on A2 cards and then cut some of Lawn Fawn’s Snowshoe Hare printed cardstock to layer on that.  I added a strip of the same Bazzill cardstock vertically down the center of each and topped with a glittery aqua ribbon from my stash.  I cut the larger label from the Katherine die set out of the aqua Bazzill cardstock.  On some white cardstock I stamped the sentiment from Creative Expressions Christmas Sayings stamp set and then cut it out using the dotted label die from the Katherine die set.  I stacked and glued together the 2 labels and then attached using foam tape for dimension.  Then I added a snowflake with a glitter dot in the center.  Here are both fronts.

(c) Nancy Roth

Now comes the fun part!  I discovered that if you make two cards on the inside following Karen Burniston’s video for the Katherine die…………and here is the magical trick…………..and turn one of them upside down, you can make the pop-up parts come towards one another!  One will raise up and the other will drop down, so you have to do some calculating as to where you need to attach the mechanism.  I found that by putting the “box” part of the mechanism in the exact center of each of the A2 cards it should work perfectly.  I put Sookwang tape on all the necessary parts, measured where I needed to attach the box and then attached the “triangle” part where needed and then attached the “box” using the instructions in the video.  Here is the Boy (regular) version and Girl (upside down) version.  You can see where the mechanisms are opposite each other.

(c) Nancy Roth

(c) Nancy Roth

Both sides of the inside were lined with the same Lawn Fawn cardstock as the front.  The T-Rex is from Lawn Fawn Critters From The Past stamped with Memento black ink and colored with Copic markers.  I used My Favorite Things Mirror Image stamp to stamp one T-Rex so it could face the other.  I die cut the one direct stamped image and I used a technique by Jennifer McGuire to die cut the mirror image.  Hint……I used the Tim Holtz Stamping Platform to allow me to stamp on the mirror image stamp several times to get a better image.  I accessorized them with a Santa hat, bow and a present from Lawn Fawn stamp and die sets.  I then cut the dotted label from the Katherine set from white cardstock twice and Bazzill aqua cardstock once.  I used one of the white labels to cut a “snowbank” and attached it to the aqua label.  I then cut off some of the outside edge of the labels to make them fit together better when opened and attached the T-rex and a snowflake with a glitter dot.

To attach the T-Rex labels correctly you will need to put the 2 cards side by side and decide where to place them.  I actually overlapped the cards as far as they would go and used two paper clips to hold them in place while I decided where the T-Rex labels needed to go.  Unfortunately I couldn’t make them hug…..after all, they are T-Rex with little short arms!  But I was able to make their noses almost touch.

(c) Nancy Roth

Once those were placed I finished off the cards.  I cut a snowbank using the Lawn Fawn Stitched Hillside Borders and attached along the 3 straight edges to allow a gift card to be inserted.  I also cut two snowflake garlands from the Elizabeth Craft Designs Holiday Garlands 2 die set and attached along the top.  I added glitter dots to the centers of the snowflakes for some shine.  Lastly I stamped and added the second white label to the card for a sentiment and signature area.  And here is the final set!  One final note……..since the levels of the pop-up mechanisms are dependent on how far the card is opened, you might have to experiment a bit when you set them up together as to the angles of the cards.  But with a little judicial prodding you can get them where you want them.

(c) Nancy Roth

I hope you enjoy my creation!  Remember that you can try something different by looking at your stamp and dies sets in a whole different perspective.  It’s amazing what you can create when you think outside the box.  Have a healthy, safe and wonderful New Year!!